Brahmi is a soft, perennial, creeping herb with succulent leaves that is non-aromatic. It has many branches that flourish particularly in moist and marshy areas. This edible plant spreads its branches out horizontally to cover the ground and can reach heights of up to 6 inches. Coin-shaped, green leaves with tiny markings occur in clusters of two or three alternately on a hairy stalk. Small, actinomorphic, white, and purplish flowers can be found in most months of the year. It has four or five petals. It is also known as a water aquarium plant because of its capacity to grow in water.
Brahmi is one of the earliest and most potent brain tonics utilized in the Ayurvedic system since ancient times. The Brahmi herb is best used in brain-related conditions that support intelligence because the leaf's structure mimics that of the cerebellum. An Ayurvedic herb called Brahmi is used to treat stomach infections. Hyssop, plant of grace, and water hyssop are some of its common names. This herb contains some powerful alkaloids for the body, including cucurbutacin, bacaposide, herpestine, mannitol, hersaponin, and narcotine.
Around the sixth century AD, Bacopa monnieri was mentioned in the medhaya rasayan of several ancient texts, including the Charaka Samhita, the Athrava-veda, and the Sushrut Samhita. Herbs in this category are used to combat mental illnesses and sharpen intelligence. Its anti-oxidant properties make it a cell protector.
It is indigenous to the southern Indian wetlands. in which Australia, Europe, Africa, Asia, South, and North America have the greatest distribution. Additionally, brahmin can be found in the marshy regions of Nepal, Pakistan, Taiwan, and Vietnam.
- Kingdom - Plantae
- Order - Lamiales
- Family - Plantaginaceae
- Genus - Bacopa
- Latin name – Bacopa monnieri
- English name – Indian pennywort, Herb of grace, Thyme leaved gratiola, Water hyssop
- Hindi name – Brahmi
- Bengali name – Birami
- Telugu name – Sambarenu
- Kannada name – Jala brahmi
- Tamil name – Neera brahmi
- Sinhala name – Lunuwila
- Chinese name – Jia-ma-chi-xian
Hindi / Sanskrit
Guna (Physical Property)
Vipaka (Post-Digestive Taste)
Effects on Doshas
It balances Vata and Kapha doshas.
Prjasthapan - Herbs that can help keep pregnancies stable.
Medhya Rasayan - Herbs that are healthy for the brain.
Balya – herbs that boost immunity and strength.
- As people age, their brains deteriorate, and Brahmi is the best brain tonic. The main ingredient bacosides has great effects on the health of the brain. By encouraging the regeneration of brain cells, Brahmi is utilized to affect brain cells. It exhibits amazing effects against the Alzheimer's disease-related fast destruction of brain cells.
- Brahmi works equally well for better liver health as it does for the brain. It is not just effective for the brain. The liver aids in the body's detoxification process, and Brahmi is a very important herb for promoting liver activities. Every day, we consume a variety of pollutants and breathe in environmental contaminants. This herb is a secure, all-natural substance that helps the liver work properly while removing toxins.
- Brahmi is also useful to keep our blood pressure at normal range. Nitric acid usage and typical vascular muscle activities are also improved.
- This plant's anti-oxidant properties shield our bodies from the harm caused by free radicals. It strengthens our immune system and aids in the body's defense against numerous infections.
- It refreshes the mind, increases memory, and raises consciousness and concentration levels. Anxiety and ADHD issues can also benefit from this.
- External applications of Brahmi paste and oil promote healthy skin, effective wound healing, and joint mobility. This herb's cold potency makes it good for the skin.
- Additionally, it supports healthy digestion and is helpful for the digestive system. The herb Brahmi is also beneficial for gastric ulcer prevention and ulcer healing.
- This herb is used to treat asthma and contains broncho-dilator properties.
- The external application of Brahmi oil to the scalp provides nourishment, and strength, and encourages hair growth. This is one of the best Ayurveda hair care products. Additionally, it aids in the treatment of split ends, dandruff, flakes, and alopecia.
- This herb also works wonders for sleeplessness and is the ultimate stress reliever. It aids in the treatment of sleep disturbances, which progress to become severe mental diseases.
- As a neurological tonic, Brahmi is also used to treat epilepsy. Brahmi contains chemical substances called bacposide A and B that enhance neural communication between brain cells. These aid in reducing neuronal degeneration.
- Back pain and hoarseness of voice are further benefits.
- Vata and Kapha dosha are calmed by Brahmi.
- Whole plant
- Fresh juice – 10-20ml
- Brahmi powder – 1-3gm
- Its extract capsules – 250- 500mg
Ayurvedic Products from Bacopa monneiri by Ayumantra
Brahmi Amla Oil
Brahmi Capsules (Bacopa Monnieri)